Homey can connect with Google Assistant in two ways:
- The direct integration allows you to control devices added to Homey, for example "Hey Google, turn on the TV".
- The voice integration makes it possible to send voice commands directly to Homey, for example "Hey Google, tell Homey I'm home".
This article will explain how to set up the direct integration. Looking for the voice integration?
Note: Version 2.3.0 of the Homey app is needed for this integration to work properly.
Set up Homey with Google Assistant
1. Open the Google Home app
2. Add a device
In the Google Home app, tap the Add (+) button. Then select Set up device. Finally, tap on Have something already set up?.
3. Log in with your Athom account
Search and select Homey in the list of brands. Log in with your Athom account and follow the on-screen instructions.
After completing these steps, Homey is now connected with Google Assistant and you can start saying commands such as "Hey Google, turn on the TV".
4. Enable synchronisation to Google (optional)
Additionally, Homey can synchronise the live status, name and zone of your devices to Google. This might improve the speed of certain speech commands, such as "Turn up the heat". To better protect your privacy, this functionality must be manually enabled in the Homey app.
In the Homey app, navigate to More (...), then tap Settings and finally choose Google Assistant. You can enable synchronisation by tapping the switch in the bottom of the screen.
Note: when synchronisation is not enabled, newly added devices might not appear in the Google Home app. You can synchronise manually by saying "Hey Google, sync devices".
Google Home has limited support for certain devices. The following devices currently work with Homey + Google Assistant.
- Sockets, Switches and other On/Off devices